One of the biggest challenges you may have to face in a Richmond personal injury case is dealing with the insurance companies. The insurance company has an obligation to its insured to pay any award against its insured for any injuries or damages.
The insurance adjuster is the person who decides how much money the insurance company will pay for a Richmond personal injury claim. They are also in charge of investigating a claim. This includes talking to witnesses, evaluating property damage, reading police reports, and reviewing medical records. We would all like to think that adjusters are looking out for your best interests. But in reality most adjusters are only interested in saving the company money.
Adjusters are known for trying to pay out as little as possible for personal injury claims. They will question your motives, attempt to make it look like it was your fault that you were injured, or even hold out making any type of payment until you become so desperate that you end up settling for less than you deserve.
There are cases in which you do not have to talk to an insurance adjuster; your attorney will handle all the details. However, if must give a statement to the insurance company, here are a few Do’s and Don’ts:
- Speak with your attorney to mentally prepare for the interview. An experienced attorney understands the process and can offer advice about the process.
- Record the conversation or take good notes.
- Provide specific details of all injuries that occurred because of the accident.
- Agree to anything or sign any papers unless your attorney is present.
- Engage in “small talk” about your family, work, or how you are feeling. Adjusters will attempt to get you to reveal information that you may think is harmless, but they may use it against you.
- Offer more information than what is asked of you. Be straight and to the point.
Would you like more information about the secrets that insurance companies and insurance adjusters don’t want you to know about your personal injury claim? Download our free accident injury book, Hidden Secrets Insurance Companies Don’t Want You to Know About Your Injury Claim, now!
“ I was very thankful for the personal attention that was given to me by all of your staff. When you go through something like I did in the fire, people’s attitudes can make a difference! Thanks for everything! ”
— Patricia HedrickRead More »
“ I feel that my case was handled in a very quick but professional manner. I was very pleased and would recommend your firm to anyone in need. ”
— Robin TruittRead More »
“ My case was handled in a very professional manner, it did not have any of the more common aggravations. ”
— Thomas Queen Jr.Read More »
“ I like you as my lawyer because you are always there when I need you. ”
— Iman SaleemRead More »
“ I’m proud to say that the lawyer I had was very professional and took his job very personally. I will highly recommend him to any person. Very honest man, tells you the truth, not what you many want to hear. Prayers are with the company. ”
— Nadine GreenRead More »