I can’t speak for every Richmond, VA personal injury attorney, but I can tell you what I do for my own clients in any given personal injury case:
- Talk to my clients and return their phone calls promptly. If I am available in the office I will talk to you when you call.
- Meet with you to discuss your case whenever you feel the need.
- Educate and teach clients about personal injury claims. We will let you know what to expect and how long things will take.
- Gather written records and documents to support the claim, including medical records, police report, and employment records. We will contact our client’s doctors to get all the necessary medical documentation and contact our client’s place of work in order to document loss of wages for time missed from work.
- Perform investigation of the client’s claim, including gathering witness statements, photographs, diagrams, and physical evidence. Also we can find a missing defendant if necessary.
- Examine the client’s own car insurance policy to see what coverage is available to pay for the client’s damages, like medical, hospital and wage loss benefits. We can offer advice about how you might get better car insurance coverage.
- Meet and confer with the client’s own medical doctors and other healthcare providers to fully understand client’s condition
- Obtain specific reports from experts to support the client’s claim
- Analyze any pertinent legal issues that may affect client’s case, like contributory negligence, assumption of risk, comparative fault, etc.
- File necessary claim forms with the at-fault governmental agency
- Analyze client’s own health insurance or governmental benefit plan to ascertain whether any money they spent must be repaid
- Analyze and address any liens asserted against the client’s settlement recovery. Various healthcare providers, insurers, and/or governmental agencies may file liens seeking to be repaid money for benefits already paid to or on behalf of the client. Some examples of this are if you have an ERISA healthcare policy or Medicare.
- Communicate to the client the amount of total medical bills and lost wages that we are sending to the insurance company.
- Contact the insurance company about the claim and conduct periodic discussions with the carrier about your case so that appropriate reserves are set aside to settle the case. We will stop the adjuster from calling you and bugging you about the case.
- Conduct negotiations with the insurance adjustor in an effort to settle the claim, either short of litigation or short of trial
- Communicate all offers of settlement to you and give legal advise on weather you should settle your claim or try and get more money. We will never settle your claim without your consent.
“ I was very thankful for the personal attention that was given to me by all of your staff. When you go through something like I did in the fire, people’s attitudes can make a difference! Thanks for everything! ”
— Patricia HedrickRead More »
“ I feel that my case was handled in a very quick but professional manner. I was very pleased and would recommend your firm to anyone in need. ”
— Robin TruittRead More »
“ My case was handled in a very professional manner, it did not have any of the more common aggravations. ”
— Thomas Queen Jr.Read More »
“ I like you as my lawyer because you are always there when I need you. ”
— Iman SaleemRead More »
“ I’m proud to say that the lawyer I had was very professional and took his job very personally. I will highly recommend him to any person. Very honest man, tells you the truth, not what you many want to hear. Prayers are with the company. ”
— Nadine GreenRead More »