If your stomach bothers you, do you call it a “bug” and blame it on what you had for dinner last night? It’s called “foodborne illness” and millions of people get it every year, particularly in warm, humid summer months. Here’s how you can help prevent it:
Know potential threats. Here are some common culprits: undercooked poultry (campylobacter); contaminated lunch meats (listeria); undercooked beef (e.coli); food touched by someone with the virus (norovirus); and raw eggs or contaminated produce (salmonella).
Be food safe by following these basic steps:
• Clean. Wash your hands, utensils and surfaces in hot soapy water before and after you prepare food.
• Separate. Keep raw meat, poultry and seafood away from other foods.
• Cook. Cook food to the proper temperature and use a thermometer.
• Chill. Refrigerate prepared food and leftovers within two hours.
Then take it a step further:
• Wash all fruits/vegetables, even if you’re going to peel them. If you cut something before washing it, you can transfer bacteria to the inside.
• Be picnic/barbeque savvy. Cook meats thoroughly on the grill; always use a thermometer to check internal temperature. Don’t let food sit out for more than an hour in hot weather.
• Don’t keep sliced deli meat for longer than 3-5 days. (Bacteria you can’t see or smell can grow in the fridge.) Lower your risk by buying packaged lunch meats that contain antimicrobials.
• Buy pasteurized eggs. (Look for a P on the carton or the eggs.)
• Disinfect cutting boards with 1 Tablespoon bleach per gallon of water. Using more bleach can be harmful.
• Follow the “stand time” instructions after microwaving food. The extra minutes cool the food to a safe internal temperature.
Check for recalls. It seems like food items, farom eggs to ground beef, are being recalled every week. Go to www.foodsafety.gov/keep/recalls
“ I was very thankful for the personal attention that was given to me by all of your staff. When you go through something like I did in the fire, people’s attitudes can make a difference! Thanks for everything! ”
— Patricia HedrickRead More »
“ I feel that my case was handled in a very quick but professional manner. I was very pleased and would recommend your firm to anyone in need. ”
— Robin TruittRead More »
“ My case was handled in a very professional manner, it did not have any of the more common aggravations. ”
— Thomas Queen Jr.Read More »
“ I like you as my lawyer because you are always there when I need you. ”
— Iman SaleemRead More »
“ I’m proud to say that the lawyer I had was very professional and took his job very personally. I will highly recommend him to any person. Very honest man, tells you the truth, not what you many want to hear. Prayers are with the company. ”
— Nadine GreenRead More »